Starting Up Again

There have been so many times lately I've thought, oh, I should put that on Facebook.  But I can't, because the person in question would see it.  So time to start writing again.

I had a new client come in today.  He and I were born three days apart, at the same hospital.  In those days, new moms stayed in the hospital for a week, so we were almost certainly in the nursery together.  We went to high school together.  He was gorgeous, a football player, in student government, super popular.  I was none of those things.  I doubt he knew I existed then.

My high school class has a Facebook page, and I have really enjoyed getting to know a lot of my classmates better.  This particular one has a wicked sense of humor and is very knowledgeable about politics.  He has made vague references to a checkered past, but I didn't know much about it.

Yesterday an IRS revenue officer knocked on his door, and today he was sitting in my office.  There's a reason the ROs go knocking, it gets results like nothing else.  Anyway, it turns out my classmate went spiraling into addiction about 15 years ago.  He lost everything, including his marriage and his business.  Of course along the way he ran up some tax bills he didn't pay.  And he hasn't filed his tax return for about eight years.

He was a lawyer with a big business.  Now he's driving Uber for a living.  He looks like an old man.

I will get him fixed up.  He's sober now, but he has nothing.  No retirement, nothing.

It really makes you appreciate what you have, sometimes.


Comments

  1. I think there is SO much we don't know about people. It's eye opening. Part of me wonders if I really want to know the truth. Such a tragic story, but probably not rare these days.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with 2017

Last day

Corona virus