Offer

Today I met with a client I've been working on for several weeks.  They're doing an offer in compromise, which means that they owe the IRS much more than they could ever hope to pay, and we're trying to settle so they can move on.

They're in their late 70s and have nothing.  Very little savings, no house, no retirement, nothing.  They've got social security, and they're both working a little bit and that's it.  Not enough to live here.

Today the wife came in to pick up her packet to mail in, and she mentioned that if I talk to the IRS about them I should mention that her husband is having "a few" memory problems.  Like what, I asked.  Well, like last night he was out after dark and couldn't figure out how to get home.  She had to go out looking for him.  She started crying when she told me how scared she'd been.

I pulled out the letter I'd written to go with the offer and rewrote it.  That offer is a slam dunk.

Sometimes I feel like a counselor as much as a tax person.  I hear so many stories.

Comments

  1. There are many stories, and too many of them are sad. I'm relieved that (for right now) I'm in a good spot financially. So many aren't.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with 2017

Last day

Corona virus