My mother

My mother is a force of nature, as I may have mentioned before.  I really do love her, and feel so lucky that I still have her in my life.  But oh, my goodness, some days...

This past summer, she told me that she really likes the clear lights that people are putting up on their decks around the neighborhood, and she wishes she could have some.  Absolutely, I said.  They sell them at Costco, I can get you some this weekend.  Oh no, she said.  I don't want to be a sheep.  Everyone else already has them, so I'm not going to get them.

Okay, mom, whatever.  You're being ridiculous, but whatever.  She has mentioned several times since that she really likes them, but won't hear of me getting her any.

At Thanksgiving, she was worrying that she didn't have her Christmas lights up yet, "everyone else in the neighborhood has them up already."

Wait a minute, I said.  What about being a sheep?  Oh, it's different, she said.  This is something people have an expectation that I'll do.  So I need to do it.

My brother, who frequently thinks I make things too difficult was sitting there looking at her like she was crazy.  What's the difference again, he asked.  She explained it again.  The one is doing something because everyone else is doing it.  The other is doing something because everyone else is doing it.  Or something.  I'm still not clear.

My brother and sister-in-law went over there yesterday and put up her lights, and she's happy.  I offered to get her some of the clear lights for her deck when I went to Costco yesterday and she adamantly refused.

Whatever.

                  __________________________________________________

The extremely good news is that we had a wonderful Thanksgiving, with many, many things to be thankful for.  And the brother who had both knees replaced is doing so well that he's going to start driving my niece to school again in the morning.  I am extremely pleased about this development.  I was glad to do it for him, but man, getting up at 6 a.m. is hard, especially at this time of year.  I do not enjoy it.  You early birds can laugh all you want, but I am a night owl.  I got up at 6 for 20 years because society demanded I get my kids to school on time.  I'm not doing it any more.  7 is plenty early to get up.

              _____________________________________________________

Michael's girlfriend moved in with him about a month ago.  This is fine with me, I like her and they seem happy together.  I just don't want my mother to find out.  The phrase, "shacking up" will be used, and reference made to not buying the cow when you get the milk for free.  And then every time she sees Michael or me for the rest of her life (or until they get married) she'll tell us how disappointed she is in him.  I'd really prefer that she not find out.  I've been pretty clear about that with the girlfriend.  Now she wants my mom's address so she can send her a Christmas card.  I will need to make sure it's not a living together announcement before I part with that information.

Comments

  1. My parents are a bit old-fashioned too. They don't like "older" women who have long hair or purple in it (other colors too); I've explained to them that we are freer now to do what we want. But they don't really get it. I'm hoping not to get (more) eccentric when I age. That would be tough for my kids to handle. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with 2017

Last day

Corona virus