Last day

What a last day.  Tax season is always stressful, and the last day is always hard, but this one was particularly bad.  In a normal year I would have had things wrapped up on Sunday.  I worked hard all day that day and left feeling happy that I was all caught up.  I had a couple of appointments Monday, no big deal.

Monday I came in to a full schedule, mostly procrastinators who knew they owed, waited til the last minute and were mad about everything.  Even some of my own clients, who started months ago, didn't come in to finish until Monday.  They wandered in without an appointment and wanted in depth planning and a nice chat, which would have been fine if they hadn't been piling up in the waiting room.

Today I went through my list carefully and sent emails to a half dozen people who hadn't finished yet.  I did a return for a preparer who got the flu and couldn't get caught up.  She promised to pay me but I bet she won't.  I got a letter from someone who saw me last year.  She'd come in last week with an IRS letter.  She had told me last year she would contribute to an IRA, so I put that on her return.  She didn't.  She also failed to bring in two income documents she'd never had before, so I couldn't ask about them.  Even though I was completely slammed I found time for her to come in to go over it with her, because that's what I do.  After going home and thinking about it, she's decided that I made up that IRA contribution, and it's my fault she owes $2000.  I almost cried when I got that email.  On the one hand it's completely ridiculous.  I never make up anything, and I carefully go through the rules and time frames when people tell me they'll contribute to an IRA.  And she didn't give me all the forms she received.  And I went to considerable effort to get her in right away to help her.  But on the other hand I hate knowing she's mad and blaming me.  Whatever.

I also found out today that a woman I knew fairly well, whose kids went to school with mine, killed herself yesterday.  She had everything.  A gorgeous house, successful business, a nice husband, five sons and a brand new grandchild.  Depression is such a horrible thing.  I obviously have never had it that bad, because I just don't understand how you can do that to your loved ones.  It breaks my heart, they are the nicest family.

So now tax season is over.  I came home exhausted, checked my work email, and there's two emails from people saying they didn't realize the very specific email I sent them requesting signatures meant that I really really need those signatures.  God.  I filed extensions for the ones I hadn't heard from, and I will deal with that tomorrow.  I really didn't want to go in tomorrow but someone managed to schedule an appointment with me before I marked myself out, so in I shall go.  Ugh.  And I will be charming.

Saturday I am going to Kauai with my mother and my daughter.  I had been very excited about this until I heard about the flooding.  Now I wonder if it might be better just to stay home.

Grump grump grump.  I am so so tired and over taxes and people.  Most of the people I deal with are lovely and I truly enjoy them, but those were few and far between this week.  Now I commence sitting on the sofa and staring at the wall. 

Grump.

Comments

  1. Yes to all of this. The last week brings out the worst in people. And the IRA contribution that wasn’’t. Oh how I struggle with those. I finally started making people prove it (copy of documents showing the contribution) and telling them I’d had problems where the contribution is made to the incorrect tax year. But the last week when time is short makes that so much harder. Glad you made it through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure how to make people prove it, we talk during the tax appointment about it and a lot of people decide to go home and make a contribution. They always do, I've never had a problem before. Ah well. The tax season is over and I've had a good night's sleep and the sun is shining. I'll get over it. :)

      Delete
  2. It's difficult to work in a job where you deal with people and their money because the combination causes behavioral issues. The stress, lack of follow through and annoying attitudes would certainly make tax time a nightmare. I am happy to be one of your well-behaved clients (I hope!); I'm giving myself a gold star right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with 2017

Grocery store