Families

Sometimes it's hard for me to believe that five people as different as my brothers and I could grow up in the same house with the same parents.

Today four of us got together for Easter.  Two of the brothers there are extremely pro gun.  They went out and bought assault rifles when Obama was elected, because they wanted to have them in case he banned them.  One brother does hunt and shoot on a very regular basis -- I'm not defending his having one of those stupid guns, but at least he does use it.  The other brother hasn't been hunting or shooting in decades.  They started a loud discussion about their guns, and how nobody ever better try to take them away.

Another brother and I are violently opposed to assault weapons being available at all to the public.  Both of us would vote to ban them entirely from the earth.

The fourth brother is kind of in the middle, but he's the one who makes political discussions stop, and he wasn't there.

And it went just like the gun debate in the country.  The two gun supporters were loud and determined and strongly implied that anyone who doesn't agree with them deserves to have their freedom taken away.  The two who don't like assault weapons are tired of fighting about it and left early.  A couple of the grandchildren tried to participate and got shouted down.

Sigh.  Happy Easter.

Comments

  1. I'm so sorry that the dinner was a bust, and stressful!! I'm relieved that my Easter dinner at my brother and SIL's stayed away from politics. My brother, his wife and her mom and step-dad are Trump people and very conservative. My parents, daughter Alison and her boyfriend and I are liberal. I am getting less and less tolerant of those 2nd amendment nuts and their inability to converse about ways to solve our gun violence problem. And I don't appreciate being shouted down!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with 2017

Last day

Corona virus