Birthday party

Hard to believe we're halfway through February already.  Tax season is off to a frantic start, we're much busier than normal for mid-February.  Which is both good and bad.  Yesterday, for instance, my partner who doesn't like spending money looked at the schedule for today.  I was busy with appointments all day, but she wasn't, so she told the receptionist not to bother coming in.  I would not have done that, but I don't care.  I saw clients all day, and the phone rang and rang and rang.  A dozen clients dropped off paperwork.  And tonight my partner was bitching that she hadn't gotten anything done all day.  Hmmm.  I gently suggested that we not tell the receptionist not to come anymore.

Yesterday we threw a big party for my mother's 85th birthday.  It was the usual annoyance.  I asked her what kind of party she wanted.  She obviously knew, but she wasn't going to tell me.  I thought it would be nice to have it at a restaurant, like she'd done for my dad when he turned 85.  She hemmed and hawed and I asked my brother to find out.

Next thing I knew he'd decided they were going to do it at her house.  I said okay, and wanted to help set it up.  I was told I was being bossy and trying to take over his party.  Well.  During tax season I most certainly do not need to add extra stuff to my list.  Meanwhile Mom was fussing and fussing about not having flowers planted in the yard, and what a mess the back porch is (it was 27 degrees, I was quite certain no one was going outside on the back porch but whatever).  Emily spent several hours helping her get things together.  Mostly the party went really well.

Sister in law number three has been really sick for almost a month.  She had the flu, then she got an ear infection, then a cold.  She's felt awful for a long time.  While she was sick, she put together a Shutterfly book for my mom.  It's absolutely beautiful, she did such a great job on it.  She went over that morning to give it to mom so she could look at it right away and not worry about guests.  We walked into the party together, she was all dressed up and just so happy to be out and feeling better.  And sister in law number two immediately got in her face and yelled at her for giving mom the book when SIL2 wasn't there to see her reaction.

Then SIL2 huffed off to the kitchen and sat there alone, glowering.  Everyone else was in the living room.

SIL3 looked like someone had stuck a pin in a balloon.  I was so mad.

The thing is, SIL2 used to do this shit all the time.  I still remember the time I had the AUDACITY to schedule a family party on their wedding anniversary.  She was perfectly free to say no thank you and not come, but they came.  She walked in wearing sunglasses, SLAMMED her fruit tray on the counter and then sat in a corner.  Wearing sunglasses.  Inside.  We were used to it and it didn't bother us much.

But she's been so much better.  For about five years now, she's been real nice and just acted like a regular member of the family.  So it caught us all off guard.

Her husband apologized to SIL3.  SIL3 is very mature and will get over it.  But geez louise, I hope we're not starting up with that again.  It would be very hard to live with that all the time.


Comments

  1. Why do people have to treat one another this way? It boggles my mind! Ashley has decided to invite Patt's sister and her toxic husband to her wedding. I was hoping she wouldn't, but it's her call. I will be on my best behavior, although it will be difficult and awkward for me. I'm hoping to get my Morgan Stanley statement SOON so that I can get you my stuff. (probably Alison's as well, hers is simple)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Done with 2017

Last day

Corona virus