Life marches on

Last week, my business partner caught a nasty cold, and she insisted on coming to work every day.  I begged her to go home.  I told her how mad I'd be if I got sick.  And she would not leave.  Anybody care to guess where this is going?

I haven't been sick in years.  Probably not since I left my former employer, where people would call in too sick to work and then come in to do their taxes and cough all over me.  I already had one cold this winter, and now I have a worse one.  Ugh.  My partner feels so sad and sorry, but I know she'll do it again.  Maybe I should get pneumonia to teach her a lesson.

The good news is that I finally got caught up on all the work I got behind on when Dad was sick and then planning for the funeral.  For awhile there I was more behind than I've ever been.  Today I put the finishing touches on the last one, and then I brought myself home and put myself to bed.  I am going to go in briefly tomorrow and take Sunday off.  It will be wonderful.

The funeral was... interesting.  I had decided I was not going to cry, and I didn't.  I helped Mom spread the cloth over the coffin, and I watched my family cry, and I gave the eulogy and I didn't cry.  The eulogy was at the very end and I didn't want to go up there all blotchy and sob my way through it.  I think it went well.  It helped to see so many people, some I haven't seen in years and years.  Men who were in Dad's Boy Scout troop, people who worked with him at the Times, old friends from when my parents were first married.  A half dozen of my friends came, and a number of my brothers' friends, and some of their parents.  I always forget, funerals are for the living.  Parts of it were actually kind of fun.

It also helped to remember that last day he was awake at the hospital, when he was so disoriented and clearly suffering.  He didn't want to be that way.  He hated not being able to talk after the stroke.  So while I miss him, and always will, I'm thankful the suffering is over.

I think my mom is doing okay.  Last week she decided she should feel guilty because she was enjoying being able to sleep and go out with her friends.  I told her I want to take her somewhere sunny and warm when tax season is over, and she said she'd like that.  This has been the bleakest winter in forever -- the local news said a few days ago that since October 1 we've had three days that could be considered sunny and mild.  I am dying from the lack of sunshine, and I am freezing.  I think Maui might be just the thing.

Comments

  1. So sorry about the nasty cold! There are many teachers sick at school, but most are staying home. My friend missed 4 days of work, which is unheard of for her! Maui does sound nice. :) Glad your mom is doing OK.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last day

Done with 2017

Corona virus