Stimulus checks

The bill has passed the Senate.  It has not passed the House.  It has not been signed by 45.  And everybody and their brother is calling and emailing me wanting to know when they're going to get their checks.  God.  They're interfering with me answering the people who want to get their tax returns done so they can get their checks.

I know people are desperate.  I get it.  Michael thinks he's going to get laid off.  I have dozens of clients who made a good living running small businesses who are 100% out of work now.  These are scary times.  But the law hasn't even passed yet!

I am on the board for a small non-profit.  Our purpose is to provide support to people in crisis.  We give up to $500 for rent, utilities, transportation, food, things like that.  We've been giving money away for eight months now, and we usually have six or seven requests per month.  One of our board members thought it would be a good idea to post in a big Facebook group asking for donations so we can help more people.  As far as I know there have been no new donations, but we have 14 applications that came in today.  In one day. 

And I want to remember the funny part of the day.  I have an acquaintance.  Her daughter and Michael are very close friends.  Her husband retired from Microsoft at age 39 with millions in the bank, and neither of them has ever worked since.  They have me look over their tax situation each year, and they've structured their investments so they don't even have to file, much less pay tax.  They live a very nice, work free life in a million dollar house and pay no taxes.  Today I came home from work and there was a voice mail from her on the home line.  Another one on my cell phone.  Emails to both my work and personal email.  How can they get that check?  Do they have to file a return?  If so, can they do it today?

Wow.  Just wow.

Comments

  1. I am finding (some) people more and more disgusting and vile. The amount of selfishness and greed I've been seeing have astounded me.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Last day

Done with 2017

Corona virus